Monday, July 13, 2026

MY SINGULAR FOXGLOVE

 


This is my only foxglove...but I'm hoping to have more next year! In the in-between times, pop across and drool over our mutual friend's offerings. sigh...even if they are behaving badly!

https://inexplicabledevice.blogspot.com/2026/07/foxgloves-behaving-badly.html

Mr J. Frost has paid us a couple of visits, just to remind us that we are no longer in the tropics!And not a problem to the giant Magnolia towering high above the spa!

    Nor the old lemon stalwart...



Today I bought some Maori  potatoes; the Big Store didn't have a full range of the varieties, but these should do us nicely
                                         
                                                    
These have purple-y skins and creamy flesh; good for roasting, according to the label. And while I was there, I also bought a gro-bag, which should be easier on my elderly muscles when it comes time to harvest the spuds! 

                                             


So that was the morning's outing. Hopefully Ol' Jack will be headed well north by August so we might have Christmas spuds!

And that's about it for now. 




9 comments:

  1. No foxglove here either. It does terrible here for me. Tried one last year which was beautiful...then it just fizzled and never did come back. I love the lemon tree. I wouldn't have a place to put one...but I use a lot of lemons in a week, it would pay me to have a lemon tree or a few.

    Nice to see you popping in tootes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have one in London, years ago, but have never tried them here till last year. I have childhood memories them spilling down railway embankments like purple silk...

      Delete
  2. We had some piddly stunted ones out the front that didn't do much (basically because the ground there is bone dry and we don't water it enough). The other ones we started last year and are in pots in the back garden have grown huge, lush leaves (as have the Campanula medium and Hesperis, all biennials), but not even a bud on anything, let alone a flower.

    So nice to see Magnolias - the blowsiest and most beautiful of all Spring-flowering trees, and my favourite! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnolia is HUGE! And across the back lane is a M. grandiflora, which will flower later. We do live in a lovely "gardeners' suburb."

      Delete
  3. Masses of Foxgloves here but they are finishing now - they have been well behaved and have not turned themselves inside out.
    We grew salad potatoes from seed and ate some the other day - they were fab, it's good to grow your own. Also trying to grow Broccoli, but the Cabbage Whites keep laying eggs all over them.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try netting your broccoli...And I'm hoping for some yummy spuds!

      Delete
  4. We have to be careful about what we plant in the garden because the dog thinks everything is edible! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little dog from upstairs is not too bad, but when grandkids come I have to tell them about some things....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, a New Zealand foxglove! It may be singular, but that just means it gets more attention.

    That's a lovely old lemon tree.

    ReplyDelete

STILL STUMBLING ALONG...

...but maybe making some progress! Because we've had some nippy frosts, I thought I'd better brave the elements and snap some pics b...